Friday, February 3, 2012

Let is snow, let it snow, let it snow

Colorado got hammered by ole man winter last night, and it's still snowing today.  I stayed up reading till about three in the morning. I love those nights when it's dark out, but white. Like the world is glowing, but it's not, it's just snowing.
In the spirit of the white flaky stuff, I read a Christmas short story all through the night.  Made me want to go out and build a snowman. (Maybe after we go sledding and drink some hot cocoa. I love a good snow day.)

Title: Bah, Humbug!
Author: Heather Horrocks
Genre: Contemporary Romance/Christmas
Publisher: Word Garden Press
Bah, Humbug! (A Romantic Comedy Christmas Novella)Length: Novella

Review:
Lexi Anderson, the new Martha Stewart (minus the jail time) helps her neighbor, Kyle and his family find their Christmas spirit and in the process finds love and family for herself.


I wanna be Lexi Anderson when I grow up. I also wish I were Kyle Miller. He is a best selling novelist.
Maybe they'll adopt me.


I had no problem suspending reality and believing that these two fell in love in six days. The range of well written emotions the characters threw at each other (along with snowballs) and the fingers of reality the author wove into the story did it for me.
Warning: If you've lost a parent the sharing memories of Mama scene will yank a couple of tears into your tissue.


I'm not normally a sweet romance reader. I get more frustrated than the characters at the lack of sex. It's hard to dislike an inviting story like this, even if they don't get busy. My imagination can go rampant later. 


The only bit of the story I didn't buy throughout was how incredibly well behaved and get alongable (yes, I made that word up just this second, and you totally understand what it means, I'm sure) her kids were. I mean, who has a teenager daughter that doesn't have at least a bit of strop from time to time?  Moving to a new house in a new state with a new climate and having your mom fall for the idolized guy next door is some stressful times. But everybody was happy go lucky the whole time.  I expected a little conflict there. Maybe if the story were longer I'd get what I want. (And we all know I always get what I want)


Recommendations: 
Yeah, one-click this one. Maybe even check out some of this author's other works. The Chick Flick Clique series looks cute.
I give this one four stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment