Monday, February 20, 2012

A Thinking Man's Romance for #ManCandyMonday

It's Man Candy Monday again. This little twitter party is quickly making me actually look forward to Mondays. The theme this week is men in glasses (and sweaters). Read: Hot Guy Geeks.
Nerds are in. Geeks are hot.

Oh, how I fall in love with intelligence.
I once had an upper level Russian literary criticism class in college. There was a boy who sat somewhere in the back right of the class. (yes, I remember exactly where he sat, he made that much of an impression on me). I'm the nerdy type and usually sat somewhere near the front. But on this particular day I was ultra aware of where Mr. Mojo. I can't say I'd ever really noticed him before and I have no idea what he said that day, but I remember thinking, Damn, that guy has got the smarts going on.  Normally I'm a contributor. I'll comment and discuss and debate with the best of them. There I sat, facing forward in my seat, just letting that deep, resonating, sexy, smart voice flow over, around and through me.
When class was over I casually turned feigning to stuff my notebook into my bag, just to snag a looksee at the Apollo to my Ono.

I got nothin. I have no idea today what he looked like. I have vague impression of some sort of dark goatee and a baseball hat, but that's it. But put me in front of a police line up, blindfolded and start a discussion of homoeroticsm in  Dostoevsky and I can pick that man out with my hands tied behind my back.

I like imagining he's a hot sexy profession of literature somewhere, whom I'd like to get naked except for his glasses and make him read Anna Karenina to me, in bed.

I'll just have to settle for Man Candy Monday in glasses.


To celebrate my new favorite day of the week, combined with my lust for nerdy geeky guys, I give to you today a thinking man's romance.

Title: Chasing Mona Lisa
Authors: Trisha Goyer, Mike Yorkey
Genre: Historical Romance (WWII)
Publisher: Revell

Review:
Chasing Mona LisaIt is August 1944 and Paris is on the cusp of liberation. As the soldiers of the Third Reich flee the Allied advance, they ravage the country, stealing countless pieces of art. Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring will stop at nothing to claim the most valuable one of all, the Mona Lisa, as a post-war bargaining chip to get him to South America. Swiss OSS agents Gabi Mueller and Eric Hofstadler must rescue DaVinci's masterpiece before it falls into German.

This book is a return of Gabi and Eric. While this is a stand along, to get a better sense of their love story you'll want to read the previous book by these two authors. The relationship between Eric and Gabi really grows in this installment of thier OSS action packed story. Gabi is a great kick-butt heroine. The plot twists at the end will keep every reader on their toes. This must have been amazingly well researched. Author Trisha Goyer is known for her meticulously accurate historical details. There was a bit more telling than showing than I like, and I wish that the book had stayed in Paris rather than the other venues. There seemed like a lot more action and drama in the city of lights and love.


My recommendations:
One-click this, and think about getting the previous novel, The Swiss Courier too.
I give this one four stars




No comments:

Post a Comment